SCREENING & RECRUITMENT
The first step in the recruiting process is that the research staff will determine if you are eligible for the study:
1. You will be asked some questions regarding your health and your previous medical history (You must have been vaccinated with BCG to be eligible).
2. We will also test if your lungs are normal by measuring how much and how fast you exhale the air from your lungs this is called "spirometry" and "lung diffusion testing". * You will have to be a non-smoker in order to participate in the study.
3. We will take a blood sample to test if your kidneys and liver are normal, that your blood count is normal and we will test for HIV infection.
4. You will have a bronchoscopy test done to collect a sample of the cells from your lungs. For this test, the doctor will spray the back of your nose and throat with an anesthetic then insert the bronchoscope, a thin flexible tube into the lungs, to take the samples.
5. For women participants a pregnancy test will be performed because we don't know the side effects of an adenovirus vaccine in pregnancy.
*PLEASE CONTACT US TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE REMUNERATION OFFERED!
McMaster University Medical Center - Department of Pathology
Research Staff contact information